"Stand and deliver!"
Ever since reading the legend of the outlaw Robin Hood, pirates and highwaymen have been favorites of mine. In modern times, I'm sure I wouldn't find anything romantic about a criminal, but as historical figures in novels, I find these rogues extremely alluring. I'm sure I'm intrigued by the dangerous lives they lead, often with double identities. I also love the bad-boy persona, and the confidence they carry themselves with. I mean, who can resist the swagger of an alpha hero with nefarious skills?
My top five outlaw heroes:
1. Sebastien from Heather and Velvet by Teresa Medeiros
- My copy is worn and well-loved. Sebastien is my favorite outlaw ever. He's a hungry soul and craves the redemption that he thinks will only come from money, but he's not greedy or cruel. From the Goodreads blurb: The courageous beauty and her sensuous outlaw ignite fires of passion that blaze from the storm-swept English countryside to the wild moors of Scotland...forging unbreakable bonds of love.
2. James Mallory from Gentle Rogue by Johanna Lindsey
- The classic combination of girl disguised as cabin boy and a former pirate. The black sheep of a proud and tempestuous family, the handsome ex-pirate once swore no woman alive could entice him into matrimony. But on the high seas his resolve will be weakened by an unrestrained passion and by the high-spirited beauty whose love of freedom and adventure rivals his own.
3. Sebastien from The Rogue Pirate's Bride by Shana Galen
- A newer pirate romance with a kick-ass heroine. Raeven Russell is out for revenge, but now she’s not so sure she wants the dashing captain to change his wicked ways.
4. Alex Savege from Captured by a Rogue Lord by Katharine Ashe
- Another recent title with a couple who have hot chemistry. His kiss was irresistible, his caress unforgettable, and he hides a devastating secret. A Robin Hood upon the sea, Alex Savege is the brazen pirate Redstone, seizing the yachts of spoiled noblemen to settle an old debt. Serena needs a hero, but her heart is in the gravest danger --- for it is soon to be captured by a man as skilled at seduction as he is at plunder.
5. Pierce Deforte from Bride of the Wind by Shannon Drake
- My favorite pirate ever and a classic Fabio cover. The daughter of a wealthy Virginia planter, innocent Rose Woodbine curses cruel fate for leading her to the court of the British King Charles -- and into an unwanted marriage with handsome and dangerous Lord Pierce Deforte, a man she dares never love.His soul searing desire for the stunning Rose had once blinded Pierce to the treacherous machinations of his enemies. Now banished from his beloved England, he lives the life of a pirate -- seeking vengeance on those who betrayed him... including the beautiful temptress whom he once held dear. On a storm-tossed sea they are united once more -- he, no longer a noble, but the notorious brigand called Dragonslayer. And she, one his bride, is now his helpless prisoner -- forced to submit to his fury, his will...and the blistering, sensuous need that chains her captive heart.